Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Boston

My friends Diana and Kathryn (Diesel as she is know to us) are quite the travelers. This year they took a trip to Boston. When I heard of their trip, I jumped at the idea of spending a weekend with them and invited myself along. They, of course, were so so welcoming. Then the Boston Marathon bombings happened, and things almost didn't work out for me to come. Thankfully it worked out thanks to my two generous friends. I arrived in Boston the night they captured the second suspect of the bombing. The next day we went to a Red Sox game and the atmosphere was wonderful. It was a great feeling of unity and patriotism. They had a memorial at the beginning with a montage of the race, the bombings, and all the aftermath. The national anthem was sung by the crowd rather than a professional, and it was the most memorable anthem I have ever sung. Many people were brought out onto the field before the game began: volunteers at the marathon, runners, bystanders caught in the blast, policemen, FBI agents; it was very moving. Then there was another surprise: Neil Diamond came out during the 7th inning stretch and serenaded us with Sweet Caroline! It was definitely a game to remember! We footed around Boston, drove to Providence Rhode Island to see the capital, footed around Providence, and I spent my last day with them seeing more of Boston. It was such a wonderful trip. I can't thank my friends enough for letting me come along. Unfortunately it ended with an 11 hour train ride back home. I think it's safe to say it was the worst night's sleep, but it was definitely worth it!







2 comments:

LauriAnn said...

Ugh. I am so jealous you got to see Boston and Diana!

Beka said...

love that you went- so awesome!!!